How do you feel about self healing? Do you believe that you can heal yourself using the power of your mind? It’s an unfamiliar concept for most of us. We are conditioned to believe that healing comes via therapies administered or performed by doctors or spiritual healers, and that healing depends on drugs, surgery, herbs, acupuncture and various natural and energy healing techniques.
But consider a new perspective: no one has ever been healed by anything (no person, drug or therapy can HEAL you). The body receives assistance from external substances and procedures, but the body itself is what does the actual healing. Only the mind/body can heal itself. The mind/body is inseparable so you have to engage the mind to enable physical healing. People and healing modalities can facilitate healing, but you must engage the power of your mind and 1) decide to heal (not to BE healed, but to heal); and 2) get out of your own way by eliminating all negative thoughts.
The Body That Heals Itself
The body is designed to heal itself. It’s really good at it! Think about the constant self-healing that goes on as the body is bombarded with toxins from poor diet and environmental pollutants; emotional traumas and persistent negativity that actually change a person’s DNA; and common little injuries like paper cuts and bruises from abruptly knocking into furniture.
So what hinders self-healing? In part, negative mental and emotional energy; and in part, simple overwhelm. The body can only handle so much at a time. Poor lifestyle choices, environmental toxins and prolonged physical, emotional and mental stresses put such strain on the body that sheer overwhelm causes it to lose its ability to keep up with self-healing. The result is poor health.
It’s interesting that our reliance on healthcare to heal has caused us to deny our own miraculous self-healing capabilities. We believe we can’t be healed unless we take this drug or have that procedure. We accept the opinions of doctors that a condition is chronic or incurable. We trust medicines to work and when they don’t, we believe there is no hope (when the irony is, medicines don’t work because we have no hope). We believe that symptoms are the unpleasant effects of the disease or illness, when really they are important messages that say, “you’re doing something wrong, please stop doing it.”
But what if you could stop that cycle of self-sabotaging the healing process? What if you agreed that your mind/body is a perfect, whole unit capable of self-healing and it will do so, given the chance? What if you agreed that “healing miracles” are the result of supporting, allowing and getting out of your own way?
This is not meant to disrespect the dedicated work of doctors, most of whom are genuinely concerned about your well-being and do their best to help you. However, they too are taught that drugs and procedures are the way to treat illness and disease and many completely neglect the power of the mind. It’s possible that researchers and medical professionals may reject self-healing because it is not something that is easily studied and quantified.
Self-healing is all about supporting your body and allowing healing – getting out of your way mentally and emotionally by casting aside doubt and fear (which instantly affect the body); taking actions to physically support your body (rest, nutrition and stress relief); and believing that your body is repairing itself. You can learn to allow self-healing using the Silva Method exercises that put you in the right mindset:
1. Mirror of the Mind: use this powerful visualization exercise to see the situation as it is now, and use the power of imagination to paint a mental picture of yourself in perfect health. Basically, you are instilling the belief that you can, and will, be healthy again. Believe the mental reality, and it can become physical reality. Read more about this technique here
2. Meditation: by entering the relaxed alpha state of brain activity, you can put aside logical arguments and ‘seeing is believing’, and stop identifying with your ailment. You stop saying, “I am unwell” and start saying, “I am well.” You must get beyond ‘what is’ and visualize what your body can accomplish if energetic obstacles are out of the way.
When you have a minor injury, you don’t give a second thought to how your body heals itself. You just watch it happen on its own! Transferring this mindset to a major injury, illness or disease requires a leap of faith. Alpha-level thinking helps you embrace belief and allow healing.
3. Glove Anesthesia: this method allows you to effectively block pain, and thus release the emotional stress of experiencing pain. It’s easier to be in a positive frame of mind when you’re pain-free. Read more about this technique here
4. Support your body with nutrition and rest – listen to your intuition for guidance. Access your inner wisdom that guides you in the appropriate self-healing actions. For example, you may have a strong craving for a particular healthy food. That’s your body saying, “I need these nutrients now!” Or, you may feel the need to sleep (rest is critical for healing) and you may have to talk yourself into delegating your responsibilities. The Silva Method develops your ability to be always be aware of and follow your intuitive guidance.
5. Laugh. Yes, laughter is the best medicine. What is your mindset like when you’re laughing? Positive, optimistic and happy, right? That is the mindset of health – unlike the fearful, worried, depressed, anxious and angry mindset of ill health.
6. Accept the process. You won’t heal overnight. Cells take time to regenerate so become fascinated with the process instead of trying to rush things by taking drugs to mask symptoms (remember, symptoms are your body’s messages telling you what to do and what to avoid!). How awesome that your body can tell you how to help it fix itself!
In essence – smile, believe in your body’s abilities, support it and allow it to do its work unhindered by your thoughts and actions!