Personal development is a fun and fascinating journey into oneself. If you want the journey to be more fun than work; and if you want to accelerate your growth, there are some personal development skills that you’ll need to acquire. These skills will help transform personal development into something that is not just theory and vague ideas, but a real, applicable and meaningful practice that will give you real results, fast.
The essential skills are:
2. Willingness to be wrong.
3. Willingness to embrace change.
Without these three key elements, you won’t see success. Here’s why each of these elements are essential:
Meditation is the one daily practice that will transform your life for the better. Meditation teaches you:
- self-awareness, so you can identify the thoughts and beliefs that hold you back. Strive for personal excellence. Hold yourself to high standards! That doesn’t mean unrealistic expectations – it simply means doing the best you can in every situation. You might have to do the uncomfortable and stand in the spotlight instead of hiding in the comfortable shadows. You’ll get more comfortable doing this as you get used to giving whatever you do your best effort.
- self-mastery, so you can choose more positive thoughts when you would normally automatically react with unwanted but habitual negativity. Choose to have a positive outlook. Choose to believe that you can, when you might otherwise believe you can’t. Choose to believe things will work out the way you want, when you are tempted to believe they will fall apart.
- patience and allowing – we often try to force things because we don’t believe that they will unfold as we intended them to; meditation teaches you to do what you can, and then allow things to evolve.
- you can never know it all. Be a lifelong learner! The moment you believe you have “completely” mastered something, someone will come along who can do it better; or there will be some bit of knowledge that you haven’t acquired yet. Take the attitude of a beginner, or a child to whom the world is new and exciting. Always ask, “what can I learn from this?” You will increase your value by increasing your knowledge base and adding to your quiver of skills.
- the power of thoughts and beliefs. As you sit back and contemplate your current situation, you’ll come to see that your beliefs, thoughts and actions created it. This is humbling at first, if you aren’t happy with what is going on in your life. But ultimately it’s powerfully liberating and empowering to realize that YOU are the co-creator of your life!
[fancybox id="clicksis" target="#theslsform" text="something"]
[mv_modal_window id="theslsform" template="modalWindowFancybox.phtml" milliseconds="0" mclass='new_modal' title=''] [signup_office_autopilot_form
button="Yes! sign me up »"
Please tell us where to send your free program
Over 752,128 people have
downloaded this free series!
We ♥ your privacy.
Free Online Access
Enter your name & email address to get instant online access to the FREE Silva Method Starter Kit.
NO CREDIT CARD REQUIRED
The next element is harder: willingness to be wrong.
Some of your deeply-ingrained beliefs are simply wrong, yet they are such a part of you that your ego becomes offended when you recognize the fallacy of these beliefs. Which beliefs are wrong? The ones that point to limitations. Beliefs such as “I can’t” or “That’s impossible” are wrong. So are “I’m not worthy” or “Some people are just lucky and I’m not one of the lucky ones.”
You can do what you want to do – you just think you can’t, and unless you reprogram yourself to believe you can, you’ll be forever stuck believing you can’t. Use the Silva Method self-reprogramming exercises to create new beliefs that are aligned with your goals and dreams. Creating these new neural pathways is a recipe for success!
Learn to embrace mistakes as part of your willingness to be wrong. Mistakes are the greatest teachers and the greatest motivators. Why else would you bother to every try another way, than by dealing with the discomfort and disappointment of making a mistake? The key is to not allow mistakes to keep you down but to use them as stepping stones.
Taking responsibility for your circumstances is a component of a willingness to be wrong. Many of us love to play the victim, but that empowers everybody and everything except us.
The ability to see things from other perspectives also falls under the “willingness to be wrong” category. The way you see things is NOT THE ONLY WAY. It is only one way, and there might be a perspective that will cause you to take actions that are more aligned with your values and your goals.
And finally, willingness to change.
Most of us fear change as if it were some horrible monster, but the truth is, change is the only thing that is absolutely certain in this life! Right before your eyes, things are constantly changing and there is no way to make time stop and keep things as they are in this moment.
We often believe that things stay the same if we don’t see them changing. Well, they change anyway – we only notice when the change is dramatic. Everything is constantly changing. So why is it so hard to embrace the fact that in order to change our circumstances, we have to change our thoughts?
When you look at it that way, it’s not such a bad thing, is it? All it takes is persistent and consistent self-awareness (so you can identify the faulty thought patterns) and equally persistent and consistent self-reprogramming to create new neural pathways of thought that will cause you to think in the right way just as automatically as you now think negatively.
Is that all there is to personal development skills? No – but any skill you acquire will fall under one or more of these categories, and unless you consciously and subconsciously agree to these three key elements, nothing will improve for you.
So your first task in creating a better life is to agree to meditate every day; to accept that you are wrong in some respects; and agree that in order to improve your life, you must change the way you think. That’s a great first step and it will lead to marvelous improvements!